When I started out in photography almost 10 years ago, my first job was assisting at a big wedding studio in Chicago. I remember the very first task they gave me… shovel the sidewalk :) I started at the very bottom of the food chain. As months went by, I became the studio manager, and then began shooting as an Associate photographer for the company. A few years later, I moved out on my own and started at the bottom again in a new town, with a new studio. I have worked hard over the past 5 years to create a business that I love and that actually supports me. I don’t ever forget those first few months though, and the opportunity I was given to learn from someone successful and to see it all from the inside before I went off on my own.
Over the years, I’ve tried to pay that same opportunity forward. I’ve brought on interns the last few seasons, and it’s been great! I get some much-needed help, and they have hopefully had the chance to learn things they couldn’t have learned in school. This past year, I got a new intern, CoCo, who actually interned at the studio in Chicago just after I moved to Boston, and then moved to Boston herself. She’s so awesome though, that I had to take her on as a paid assistant/photo editor. And man, she’s been SUCH a help to me!!! But here we are, reaching the peak of wedding season (in Boston at least), and we need some more help! So, we’re hoping to find a new intern to add to the team!! If you’re interested, check out the details below to see if you’d be a good fit!!
What are we looking for?
- Photography, graphic-design, or marketing student, or someone just starting out in the photography business
- honest, detail-oriented, hard-working, creative, problem-solver who’s eager to learn – preferably someone fun :)
- experience with Mac computers, Microsoft Word, Lightroom & Photoshop
- you’ll need a car to get to my home office in Woburn
- 6-8 hours/week
- Commitment through the end of the year, starting ASAP!
What kinds of things will you be doing?
- contact management/data entry
- shipping packages
- scanning film
- culling/editing shoots
- burning discs
- office organization/filing
- research projects
- social media tasks
- designing print materials
- running errands
- various projects (i.e. setting us up with ShootQ)
- shoveling the sidewalk ;)
What will you get in return?
- Opportunity to learn how to run a wedding photography business from a seasoned professional
- Intern Day each quarter where we’ll spend the day focusing only on what you want to learn, and giving you portfolio feedback – lunch included
- This is unpaid, but I’ll buy or make you lunch each week :)
- Opportunity to assist at weddings and portrait sessions (PAID)
- You’ll probably get to hear me singing to myself a lot, get to pet my cat a lot, and hopefully have a little fun while you’re here :)
If you’re interested, please send an email telling me a bit about yourself, why you’re interested in the internship, a link to your work, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org!