When I started out in photography almost 12 years ago, my first job was assisting at a big wedding studio in Chicago. I remember the very first task they gave me… shovel the sidewalk :) I started at the very bottom of the food chain. As months went by, I became the studio manager, and then began shooting as an Associate photographer for the company. A few years later, I moved out on my own and started at the bottom again in a new town. I have worked hard over the years since I moved to Boston to create a business that I love, and to develop a TEAM that I love. It’s no fun working alone, and I think everyone benefits from being part of a team – learning to work together, encouraging and challenging each other, and everyone focusing on their strengths and doing their part to make the sum so much greater than the parts!
Over the years, I’ve tried to pay that first opportunity forward. I’ve brought on interns almost every year, and it’s been great! I get some much-needed help, and they have hopefully had the chance to learn things they couldn’t have learned in school. A few years ago, CoCo came along as an intern, and now she’s working as an Associate Photographer, as well as designing albums, editing photos, and all sorts of other great stuff! Amy came onto the team last year, and has been handling all of our Vendor Relations, and blogging, and lots of the marketing piece. I am loving this little team we’ve built! But, we’re looking at some big, exciting changes ahead (announcements coming soon!) and have a lot of projects on our plates, so we’re hoping to find a new intern to add to the team!! If you’re interested, check out the details below to see if you’d be a good fit!!
What are we looking for?
- One or 2 people to work part-time, 6-8 hours/week
- Photography, graphic-design, or marketing student, or someone just starting out in the photography business
- Honest, detail-oriented, hard-working, creative, problem-solver who’s eager to learn – preferably someone fun :)
- Experience with some combination of Mac computers, Microsoft Office, Social Media, Lightroom, Photoshop & InDesign
- You’ll need a car to get to my home office in Woburn MA
- Someone who’s not allergic to cats…
- Someone who can commit at least through the end of 2013, starting ASAP!
What kinds of things could you be doing?
- Contact management/data entry
- Shipping packages
- Culling/editing shoots
- Putting images on drives for clients
- Office organization/filing
- Research projects
- Social media tasks
- Updating our website and online pressence
- Designing print materials
- IT troubleshooting
- Scheduling travel
- Making purchases for the studio
- Running errands
- Various projects (i.e. setting us up with ShootQ – yes this has been on my list for 2 years…)
- Shoveling the sidewalk, cleaning the office for meetings, running to Starbucks ;)
What will you get in return?
- Opportunity to learn how a wedding photography business is run from a seasoned professional
- Intern Day each quarter where we’ll spend the day focusing only on what you want to learn, and giving you portfolio feedback – lunch included
- This is unpaid, but I’ll buy or make you lunch once a week!
- Opportunity to assist at weddings and portrait sessions (PAID)
- Opportunity to become part of our team for good, with a paid position if there’s a good fit for you as a Studio Manager or Photo Editor
- You’ll get to be part of a fabulous team, make some new friends, and hopefully have some fun while you’re here!